Platform for Life is delivering an innovative, preventative approach to the mental health needs of disadvantaged families in deprived areas of West Cheshire. As a result of recent long term funding, the charity has an opportunity to greatly expand its work and to more communicate more broadly what it does, so that the needs in other deprived areas can be met. Accordingly, the trustees wish to expand and diversify the Board. We have identified a need to recruit a trustee with financial expertise to ensure that the charity continues with sound finances, makes good use of its resources and fulfils its compliance requirements. We expect such a trustee will also want to contribute to the overall strategic development of the charity.
1. To ensure that the financial affairs of the charity are conducted within legal requirements, accounting conventions and general good practice.
2. Working with the CEO, to ensure the ongoing viability and development of the charity.
3. To ensure that the Board understands the financial implications of its work and its decisions, so it can fulfil its corporate financial responsibilities.
4. To ensure that the charity’s policies for budgeting, financial control and insurance are followed and to lead the further development of these policies as appropriate.
5. To monitor expenditure to ensure that it is in line with budgets, where appropriate, and in line with agreed strategy.
6. To attend quarterly Board meetings and keep trustees informed about financial matters, particularly about the financial health of the charity.
7. To generally contribute to the Board’s discussion, especially on strategic matters, including drawing on any background non-financial expertise.
- Strategic financial planning skills
- A knowledge of financial accounting and reporting procedures
- Experience of financial management in a charity or a business
- Ability to communicate financial information to those who may have little or no financial background