Members of the Site Maintenance team carry out the 1001 general jobs that keep the museum going. One day it could be general maintenance work that improves the condition and the appearance of the site and the exhibits, and on other days you could be moving exhibits around and setting up new displays.
Exhibition cleaning and care is most important and can lead to opportunities to learn about the history of articles and to carry out minor restoration work. Painting and minor repairs to site structures can range from the care of site signage to the repair of a damaged fence.
This is an interesting role and takes volunteers around all areas of the site. Meeting visitors and often getting the chance to talk to them about the museum. We all need to be careful, but ideally the volunteers in this team will have that extra little knack of knowing how to treat the articles and the buildings with that little bit of respect they deserve.
As a volunteer with the Canal & River Trust you will be making a massive contribution the organisation, often carrying out activities we would otherwise not be able to do. You will be working alongside other volunteers and Trust employees, rather than displacing or taking away work from employees, a commitment highlighted in our Use of Volunteers Agreement. It is important to us that you benefit from volunteering. It will give you the opportunity to do something new and different, but also:
- you raise your existing skill base and acquire new skills
- volunteering helps you to keep active, fit and motivated
- you can gain satisfaction from making a contribution to a national asset
- you gain invaluable experience, great for your CV and employment prospects
- you will receive out of pocket expenses; and
- you will get credit and thanks for your work
- Able to communicate effectively
- Physically fit enough to carry out the required tasks effectively
- Able to follow instructions
- Willing to commit a regular amount of time to the task and be flexible in timekeeping and commitment
- Able to work as part of a team
- Willing to learn new skills and techniques
- Willing to work in inclement weather
- Basic DIY Skills