MSM outreach support makes Body Positive's services more accessible to men who have sex with men and reduce risk-taking behaviours.
MSM outreach support takes place in commercial sex venues. Men who have sex with men do not always self-define as gay or bisexual. They may also be in pre-existing relationships and have issues surrounding their sexual health, sexuality and managing a home-life. Volunteers will encourage MSM to get access to testing, free condoms and guidance on issues relating to sexual health, sexual orientation and gender identity. The role requires that you are willing to engage with MSM who may not have accessed sexual health services before or discussed sexual health with any other professional. The role is designed to promote services; advice and guidance on issues relating to sexual health and MSM issues and HIV testing. Where you have been trained or already have skills in sexual health advice and MSM issues, you may be able to work with MSM in a supportive capacity. This can only be done in prior agreement with the volunteer lead at Body Positive.
MSM support volunteers must have a basic knowledge of sexual health, HIV and issues around sexuality diversity. Volunteers will be given free comprehensive training in these areas by Body Positive. The opportunity will also include shadowing the community development worker; experience that adds well to any CV.
Volunteers outreaching to the sauna may not patronise the sauna during their position as an MSM outreach volunteer at Body Positive. All of the following criteria must be met for you to be able to take part outreaching to MSM. Skills and personal development will be met by Body Positive's volunteer training scheme where appropriate.
- Motivated and confident in working with men who have sex with men
- Able to maintain clear boundaries and confidentiality
- Willing to develop verbal communication skills
- Open-minded; not easily shocked or offended
- Able to work with people whose values may be different from your own
- Confident to approach people and ask questions
- Willing to undertake an enhanced DBS check
- Able to get to college destinations
- Completed or willing to attend,
- Volunteer Induction
- HIV and Sexual Health Awareness
- LGBT awareness
- Over 18 years of age