The Samaritans based at Northwich, have vacancies for Listening Volunteers. If you are non judgemental and have good listening and empathy skills, if you would enjoy working within a friendly supportive team, then this role will give you a great deal of satisfaction. The organisation provides full training for this very special role and volunteers must be committed to being available and completing the training. The role involves providing confidential emotional support to people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including feeling that may lead to suicide. Support can be delivered in many ways including over the telephone, face to face, email, letter, minicom, SMS. You will also support fellow Samaritan volunteers during shared duties, maintain caller systems and log sheets.
This is an incredibly rewarding role, where full training is provided and a robust support structure is in place to help you in your role. Regular open days are held to find out more about the roles.
Training dates will be given on application.
As a Listening Volunteer you will be providing confidential emotional support and requires:
- the ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- able to actively listen in confidence without prejudice
- a great degree of sensitivity deal with callers, which may include vulnerable people, people with mental health issues and children.
- Ability to follow procedures and maintain systems
- provide support for fellow volunteers, leaders and branch members
- to liaise with duty leader at the beginning and end of each duty.
Listening volunteers should be 18 years or over upon completion of their training, able to undertake initial training usually held on a Saturday for 6 sessions plus a minimum of 5 hours training each year. Situated at the cross roads near Tesco, Garage and Railway Station.